We’re sorry to see the demise of The Weekly Standard. It’s been a part of our routine reading material for several years.
Nominations are due for the 2018 awards to honor those throughout the year who distinguished themselves in a manner deserving of outward ridicule. The list of our nominees is extensive but not complete.
We’re looking for additional nominees in the categories listed, but would love to learn of other categories that highlight the uniqueness that was 2018. All participants will win some form of Confederacy of Drones swag delivered to their mailbox in discrete packaging. The quality of the swag will be dependent on the quality of the input. It will range from a small rock with Confederacy of Drones hand lettered to something even nicer.
Submit your nominations and suggested award categories to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Without further delay, here are the 2018 award categories and our (incomplete) list of nominees.
- The Disappearing Statesman Award – Paul Ryan
- The I’m Not Too Old for Politics Award – Nancy Pelosi
- The Tact Award – Donald Trump
- The My God This World Seems Upside Down Award – Antifa Movement
- The Comeback of the Year Award – Mitt Romney
- A Lifetime Achievement Award (Sleazy Politics category) – Bill Clinton
- The Confused About The Meaning of the Word Journalist Award – Jim Acosta
- The Remember When Religious Figures were Concerned With Religious Matters – Pope Francis
- The All Republicans Really are Racists Award – Michael Moore
- The Most Likely to get Lost on the DC Subway Award – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- The You Could Ruin A Wet Dream Award – Roseann Barr
- The Nero Fiddling Award – Jerry Brown
Two quotes from Kanye West:
- N#@$&! is monsters / N#@$&! i is pimps / n#@$&! is players / Til n#@$&! have daughters / N#@$&! is pimps / n#@$&! is players /‘Til n#@$&! have daughters
- I think it’s bravery that helps you beat this game called life. You know they tried to scare me to not wear this hat. My own friends. But this hat gives me a different power in a way. You know my dad and my mom separated, so I didn’t have a lot of male energy in my home. And also I’m married to a family that, you know, not a lot of male energy going on.
For one of these, he’s considered a poet. For the other, a crazy person who can’t read. Guess which goes with which.
Hollywood has removed the iconic image of the American flag being planted on the moon in the upcoming movie First Man. At some point, you’d think it’d be more about entertainment than political messaging. For many, instead of seeing the movie they’ll be taking a knee.
So for those in the make-believe movie producing business who want to send a message along with playing dress-up, we have a few other iconic scenes you can consider omitting when you get around to portraying certain events on the big screen.
We noted previously how trust in the Catholic Church may beginning to crumble. Thanks to Twitchy for pointing out the New York Times’ effort to shift blame and also for finding other Times’ coverage of the pope (as in CYA coverage) was amped up to 11.
Here’s the first headline where the Times somehow figured out how to throw conservatives under the bus while covering for the Vatican.
Nothing to see here except those darn Republicans trying to make a mountain out of a mountain.
Then along comes another article just to make sure we weren’t distracted by the blinding light of priests by the hundreds allegedly sexually assaulting boys.
Wow, just wow! Hide the women and children because…. conservatives are being critical of pedophilia.
Not to be outdone, Reuters decided they needed to get in to the act of defending the indefensible with this gem of a headline.
Along these same lines we thought we’d revisit moments in history and the headlines that likely appeared in the NYT’s back then.
Conservatives Block Helium Exports, The Hindenburg Forced to use Hydrogen Construction of Dallas Book Depository Funded by Conservative City Council Members Democrats Burn a Few Crosses While Republicans Wage War on Segregation Gun Owners Cause Increased Deaths During Undocumented Home Invasions Democrats Insist on Unlimited Abortion Freedoms While Republicans' Only Message is "Family Values" Conservative Cleaning Lady Forced MLK to Wait Outside Hotel Room Lack of Conservatives Willing to Fight Back on Three of the Four 9/11 Planes JonBenet Ramsey at Home During Evening of Abduction Working on US Constitution Homework Conservatives Refuse to Ban Knives Did OJ Buy One? Asteroid Aiming for Earth T-Rex Building Wall to Keep Undocumented Raptors out of Cave